Amp Up Your Sunsceen May 12 2020
Amp Up Your SPF. Most of you know how I feel about SPF. You should be using it year round, every day. But with more time spent outdoors during the Spring and Summer months it's time to amp up your protection! Your sunscreen should be part of your daily regimen so it's important you find one your skin loves! Here are some tips on how to choose the right one:
- When shopping for a sunscreen look for one that also contains a moisturizer. This makes for an easy 1-step application after cleansing in the morning.
- Always look for a sunscreen that contains a high amount of zinc. I recommend chemical free sunscreens and zinc, in high percentages, will give you the longest lasting protection because it blocks the UV rays rather than absorbing and neutralizing them. My favorite sunscreens contain 18-21% zinc!
- Look for a sunscreen for your skin type. If you have oily-combination skin you will want a lighter moisturizer and maybe even a matte finish. If you need more moisture look for a heavier consistency that will leave your skin more dewy and hydrated.
- Tinted sunscreen moisturizers can be a great choice for Spring and Summer because they give a bit of coverage without feeling heavy on your skin like a foundation. BB creams are also a nice way to protect, hydrate and give coverage all in one application.
If you haven’t found a sunscreen formula you are absolutely in love with yet, take a look at some of my favorites below:
- If you like a light weight, oil free product my favorite is Lira's Solar Protection Oil Free SPF 30. It feels great on almost all skin types and also works as a nice primer for under makeup.
- For a light tint, a tinted moisturizer with SPF is a great option and my two favorites are Dermaquest's Sheerzinc SPF 30 Tinted and Lira's Solar Protection SPF 30 tinted. Both contain a light tint and deliver hydration and antioxidants to your skin.
If you need something that gives a little more coverage, in fact a flawless coverage, the product I am in love with right now is Lira's BB Creme! It is a 4 in 1 product that gives you hydration, SPF 30 protection, anti-aging ingredients and primer/foundation coverage. This is my go-to year around!