Summer Skin Care July 15 2021
As the Seasons change, so should your skin care. Summer is here and you may already be feeling the changes to your skin. The higher temperatures and humidity can leave our skin feeling sweaty and sticky. In addition to the heat we also have increased exposure to UV rays from the sun. While it isn’t necessary to change your entire skin care regimen it might be smart to make a few changes for the Summer months to keep your skin looking and feeling it’s best. Here are some suggestions for getting your routine “Summer ready”:
- Always use a good SPF, even when indoors. We are exposed to blue light when using electronics and also can get some damaging rays from certain indoor lighting. Using a tinted moisturizing SPF rather than a heavy foundation can feel more comfortable during the hot weather but will still give you some coverage and hydration while protecting your skin from UV rays.
- Summer sun can cause an increase oil production and dead skin which can lead to clogged pores and breakouts. Switching to a cleanser that contains salicylic acid can help prevent this.
- Because our skin is usually less dry in the Summer months, switching to a lighter moisturizer will help keep your skin feeling hydrated but not greasy.
- If you aren’t already using Vitamin C it’s a perfect time to add it to your regimen. Vitamin C Serums can be worn under your sunscreen and will help protect you from free radical damage which excellerates the aging process..
- Reduce the frequency of harsh scrubs that can cause sensitivity in the sun. Choose a less aggressive exfoliator for Summer.
- If you use retinol products you may want to lower the strength during the hotter months. If you choose to stick with the higher strengths be sure to use them at night only as too much retinol can actually increase your risk of skin cancer if it is exposed to sunlight.
If you have questions about your Summer skin care routine please contact us. We offer free consultations, in person and over the phone. Let us help you find the perfect Summer regimen for your skin!